The VP, Copyright is responsible for the successful administration of the company's comprehensive catalog of copyrights and those of its clients. This includes over 1M compositions under both the Songtrust and Downtown Music Publishing umbrellas. We are building cutting edge technology to help us do this and are looking for someone who can help us deliver scale, efficiency and precision into our copyright product and operations.
As the head of the Copyright team, you will be responsible for managing a team of copyright staff and lead music copyright administration, including onboarding new clients, managing their song catalogs, registering their compositions with rights societies around the world and troubleshooting along the way.
We are looking for a unique individual to help us innovate and strengthen the global copyright community by solving for the challenges inherent to a music ecosystem where creators have increasing control over their work.
This position reports to the Global Head of Rights Management Operations.
What you will be doing:
- Lead, manage, and mentor copyright department staff of 10
- Oversee new client onboarding and catalog ingestion into Songtrust’s proprietary technology platform
- Oversee successful registration of works with collection societies, licensing organizations and sub-publishers
- Serve as primary copyright stakeholder in internal product development decisions
- Support internal and external rights holders and partners (e.g. PROs, DSPs, etc.) to ensure that rights-related issues get resolved quickly
- Develop standard operating procedures that improve efficiency and accuracy
- Set quarterly Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) that define strategic goals for department
- Define, benchmark, and track OKRs and KPIs; provide status reports on a regular basis
- Lead periodic, internal training sessions for company-wide employees
- Work with Business Development and Analytics teams to provide guidance on copyright issues that may affect deal valuation
- Work with Analytics teams to provide forward guidance on revenue forecasts for administered catalogs
- 10+ years music publishing and copyright administration experience
- Direct working knowledge of collection societies (ASCAP, BMI, PRS, etc) and their operations
- Expert understanding of global music publishing and royalties landscape
- Demonstrated ability to find innovative solutions to solve complex problems in music publishing
- Capability to engineer processes, develop process mapping and write documentation
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, train and mentor copyright talent
- Experience working with product and engineering teams
- Strong communication skills
- A motivated and creative problem solver
- Highly analytical and strong technical acumen
- Passion for music, data and a keen interest in making the industry work better for songwriters