Artist roster management – bring in hits, exciting artists and support the internal Monstercat teams to execute on release strategies.
Monstercat, North America’s largest independent electronic music label, has an exciting opportunity for a Lead A&R to take on the development of its warm, vibrant, and melodic driven brand, Monstercat Instinct.
Reporting to the Head of Music, this is an amazing opportunity for a driven player in the pop/electronic music community. In this role, you will be responsible for developing the Instinct roster with exciting artists, an exceptional sound that personifies the label and launches the Instinct brand to unparalleled heights in the electronic music industry.
As the Lead A&R for Instinct you are a music tastemaker for pop-electronic, ensuring a healthy supply of quality music from great artists. You develop the creative direction for Instinct considering qualitative & quantitative indicators and team feedback.
You have an extensive network with a proven track record of building exceptional relationships with artists, management companies and other stakeholders to sign great records. You have an ear for music and hear what others don’t which enables you to identify artist collaboration opportunities and mobilize all stakeholders behind creative music projects.
You liaise closely with Marketing & Commercial departments during the A&R process of priority projects and lean on their support to scope out release strategies. You closely monitor the success of the artist and record performance, adjusting your artist roster strategy if/when necessary. You have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both written & verbal.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES…
- Prospect new artists and releases
- Ensure a healthy supply of music to satisfy the release schedule
- Manage existing roster, bringing in new artists and developing records & release strategies.
- Build and nurture relationships with key partners and stakeholders
- Represent Monstercat at industry gatherings on a global level
- Report on leads, opportunities and developments to the Head of Music
- Set A&R target list
- Create a list of targets based off of internal departmental strategic goals, and cross-department recommendations assessing trends and data
- Work with the A&R team to manage the scouting and procurement of new talent
- Ensure healthy music supply, overseeing the artist and release on boarding process
- Adhere to label standard operating procedures, ensure distribution deadlines are met
- Work with the Marketing team to ensure timely dissemination of release information, goals and targets.
- Final sign off on all track/releases
- Host regular listening sessions with music, commercial & marketing teams
- Ensure all releases meet music quality standards
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE….
- 5+ years’ experience in music brand and artist development (electronic music preferred)
- A proven track record in prospecting artists, facilitating collaborations and signing performing records
- Extensive network with artists and key music industry stakeholders in pop-electronic
- Comprehensive music business knowledge and understanding
- Experience in working with artist management and/or creative agencies
- Knowledgeable on current consumer trends, music history and digital music
- Strong analytical skills to assess artist and release performance
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously, deliver on deadlines and adhere to the labels standard operating procedures
- Capable of managing ambiguity and responding to a fast paced, dynamic environment
- A tenacious self-starter with the ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Strong intuition and problem-solving skills with the ability to think out of the box
- Willing to work nights, weekends and travel as needed