With its broad and diverse roster of new stars and legendary artists, Warner Music Group is home to a collection of the best-known record labels in the music industry including Asylum, Atlantic, East West, Elektra, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Warner Records, Warner Classics and Warner Chappell Music, one of the world’s leading music publishers with a catalogue of more than one million copyrights worldwide.
WCM originated in 1811 and has become an industry-leading force in providing a world-class array of services designed to help songwriters and publishing companies grow their careers and their businesses.
Legal and Business Affairs Manager/Advisor
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT OUR TEAM:
WCM is looking for a Legal and Business Affairs Manager or Advisor to join the team (role and title dependent on previous experience and qualifications).
Legal and Business Affairs is here to assist in all legal aspects of the business and particularly in respect of the negotiation and drafting of contracts for the services of songwriters or to administer catalogues. We should be prepared to assist anyone in the company who needs legal or business help or advice. This may include supporting teams dealing with synch licensing, theatrical licensing, digital deals, finance, admin, A&R, regulatory issues and copyright and other disputes.
WHY THIS COULD BE YOUR NEXT BIG BREAK:
The Legal and Business Affairs [Manager/Advisor] will support the Head of Legal and Business Affairs and the Senior Legal and Business Affairs Manager in providing a commercial and effective legal service to Warner Chappell Music UK. The Legal and Business Affairs [Manager/Advisor] must partner closely with all other WCM departments, maintaining positive relationships with them. This is a key position in ensuring that WCM’s legal interests are protected in all scenarios and a very broad role where you must have the ability and personality to get involved and try new things!
HERE YOU’LL GET TO:
Maintain an effective legal framework for WCM
- Acting as a member of the team, providing advice, agreeing competitive commercial terms and accurately drafting the following:
- Song acquisition agreements, including exclusive songwriter agreements, administration agreements, sub-publishing agreements, catalogue purchase agreements and amendments/extensions to such agreements;
- Licensing agreements, including synchronisation and theatrical agreements, and ny additional/new exploitation agreements.
- Managing the offer process for such agreements, coordinating with other departments and ensuring offers are submitted as quickly as possible.
- Corresponding with clients’/songwriters’ representatives in relation to contract requirements, including re-negotiations and offers to renew.
- Helping with the options/end dates diary and administration arising therefrom.
- Providing advice to internal and external clients on legal and commercial queries in connection with, for example, the interpretation of contracts, royalty/financial queries and copyright issues.
- Helping to manage any contentious issues, including copyright infringement, breach of contract and debt recovery, including drafting of letters.
- Reviewing and negotiating record company controlled composition provisions.
- Conducting legal research as required and providing written summaries pertinent to establishing the company’s legal rights.
- Providing a fast and responsive commercial legal service to WCM
- Supporting senior members of the department and assisting with deal transactions.
- Ensuring that all synchronisation and other licensing agreements, sample agreements, letters of amendment and extension agreements are concluded to reflect WCM commercial strategy.
- Supporting the Head of Department with additional projects as and when required.
MANAGING AND DEVELOPING POSITIVE RELATIONSHIPS
- Assisting with new business/new forms of exploitation of the catalogue.
- Developing positive relationships with internal and external clients and networks throughout the international music community to exert influence on the outcome of legal issues.
- Establishing effective working relationships with WCM affiliates and sub-publishers and providing legal support on general and specific queries.
- A hard-working newly-qualified lawyer (PQE 0 – 2 years), or music paralegal with at least 2 years’ experience within an in-house music (or similar industry) team.
- Able to draft and negotiate a variety of agreements in the best interests of WCM and in accordance with Warner Music Group commercial strategy and operational guidelines.
- Able to communicate and explain the significance of the terms of agreements to other departments within WCM UK or its affiliates prior to committing the company to a legally binding agreement.
- Capable of helping to manage the conduct of disputes with external clients or other third parties and remaining measured in dealings with them resolving disputes amicably where possible.
- Willing to apply their enthusiasm to every aspect of the department’s work and open to developing new skills.
- Able to prioritise tasks under pressure whilst maintaining accuracy and an eye for detail.
IT WOULD BE MUSIC TO OUR EARS IF YOU ALSO HAD:
- Some prior experience of the music publishing business and the relevant agreements (either within a law firm specialising in music work or through an in-house music team).
WHY JOIN US?
Here at Warner Music Group we’re all about our people. We are one global company made up exclusively of knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people.
It is the mission of every member of the WMG team around the world to create a nurturing environment for artists, songwriters, and the people behind the music – at every stage of their career. We strive to set WMG apart by embracing a philosophy of innovation – it’s part of our company’s DNA.
Consider a career at WMG and be a part of one of the most influential forces in culture today.
LOVE THIS JOB AND WANT TO APPLY?
Click the “Apply” link at the top of the page, or apply directly with your LinkedIn. Applying with LinkedIn will import all of the information you put in your profile, but will still allow you to upload a resume and cover letter.
Don’t be discouraged if you don’t hear from us right away. We’re taking our time to review all resumes, and to find the best people for WMG.
Thanks for your interest in working for WMG. We love it here, and think you will, too.