About Sony Music Entertainment
Sony Music Entertainment is a global recorded music company with a roster of current artists that includes a broad array of both local artists and international superstars, as well as a vast catalog that comprises some of the most important recordings in history. Sony Music Entertainment is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America.
The Vice President, A&R responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to:
- Evaluate new talent and serve as a liaison between assigned artists and the label
- Recommend new talent, concepts and projects
- Attend live showcases/concerts
- Act as label liaison with the artist once they are signed to the label
- Oversee the recording, production, mastering, and sequencing of artist projects
- Provide creative input and direct on artist’s material and recording career
- Find suitable producers, writers/co-writers, sound engineers and recording studios
- Coordinate pre-production and production, mixing, mastering
- Plan and monitor recording budgets for assigned projects
- Keep projects within agreed budget and schedule/timeline
- Evaluate recording and mixing progress for label’s artists
- Maintain files/records on all projects released, proposed or submissions denied
- Work closely with other label departments/employees including marketing, publicity, promotion and sales to try to ensure recorded
- material is commercially successful
- Develop and maintain relationships within industry (managers, agents, attorneys, concert promoters, radio promo reps, retail contacts, trade and consumer press, tastemakers, etc.)
- Manage company’s A&R consultants and/or scouts in direction and budgets
- Advise on US catalog exploitation
- Assist in developing broader portfolio of products and services for label (e.g. strategic partnerships, 360 deals and equity touring deals)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in A&R within the music industry with demonstrated track record of discovering new artists that fit with the musical direction.
- Must be able to create and maintain very strong relationships internally (Marketing, Publicity, Promotion, Sales, Touring and Events, Legal,
- A&R Administration, Release Planning, Finance, etc.) as well as well as externally (artists, producers, booking agents, tour managers, press, industry contacts).
- Hands-on experience required in all the different steps in the recording, production, mastering, sequencing and release of a record.
- Strong computer skills including MS Office (Word, Excel & Outlook) and an intimate knowledge of the internet.
- Exceptional communication and time management skills.
- Must be able to work independently as well as be a team player.
- A flexible, proactive, self-starter who has strong problem solving, social and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Must be available to travel and attend evening showcases as required.
- Must understand the artist lifestyle and have great artist relations.
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.