We are a global music distributor, music publisher, and record label group established over 25 years ago, founded in Bloomington, Indiana, with offices extending to NY, LA and London.
We distribute physical and digital music for independent record labels, music creators and our own proprietary labels featuring artists such as Phoebe Bridgers, Moses Sumney, Khruangbin, and Bon Iver. We have strategic alliances with, or share ownership with, a number of other independent labels and have recently merged tech-forward Ghostly International into our affiliated operations.
Reporting to the CFO, the Controller will oversee activities of the accounting department and is responsible for the day-to-day aspects of the business’s accounting and reporting functions and maintenance of effective internal controls. The Controller will be a key driver in transforming current systems and reporting practices to the next level. This is a great opportunity for affecting change and working within a creative and dynamic environment.
The successful candidate will possess the ability to make recommendations for, and implement, more efficient methods to operationalize recurring accounting transactions and bring an analytical and flexible approach to problem solving.
- Lead and execute accurate and timely monthly and quarterly closes and reporting for all companies
- Lead and execute financial statement preparation, at the individual company and consolidated level, to include Income Statement, Balance Sheet, and Statement of Cash Flow
- Prepare various year-end tax and/or audit schedules, including state tax reporting
- Supervise the quarterly VAT filings
- Maintain all required balance sheet account schedules for monthly and quarterly review, as applicable
- Maintain Chart of Accounts and assist with necessary adjustments
- Manage the books of UK foreign subsidiary, and annual audits as applicable
- Oversee the monthly booking of allocated costs across entities
- Oversee process and entries for foreign currency transactions
- Creation and enhancement of financial policies
- Review and enhance processes for recurring transactions
- Lead the integration of new labels/partners into accounting and reporting system
- Liaise with Distribution, Business Affairs, IT, and Data Ingestion teams to ensure accuracy and compliance across all systems
- Supervision of accounting staff as directed
- Manage key projects and initiatives as delegated
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Education: CPA and bachelor’s degree in accounting or related business field
- Experience: Minimum of seven year’s working experience in a leading accounting position in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Audit experience with a national or regional accounting firm is preferred, but not essential
- Strong analytical skill set with systems proficiency
- Experience with consolidated accounting practices and multi-company, multi-currency environments
- Prior experience in accounting systems and process change
- Prior experience of handling intercompany relationships, and consolidating entries/financials
- Prior experience in the music business and/or with royalty accounting
- Health, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance
- Paid holidays
- Paid vacation days
Contact: To apply and submit a resume visit our employment website and fill out the form linked in the job description.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability, protected veteran status, age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ancestry, nationality, or national origin.