Position: SENIOR ECONOMIST
Location: LONDON/NEW YORK
Closing Date: Jan 7th 2018
We are looking for an outstanding Senior Economist to join Spotify’s Content team.
Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their work and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by it.
Are you a creative thinker who can combine a strong economic toolbox with a desire to learn from others, and who knows how to execute and deliver on big ideas.
You would be working across the content teams and with many other related departments, providing economics, statistical and policy support that enable evidence-based decision making to help Spotify achieve its stated goal.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- You will be working closely with cross-functional teams within the content organisation on complex and unprecedented problem-solving challenges that requires fast turn-around solutions.
- You will be able to learn quickly and apply all relevant excel, coding and query skills available within the company, and to be able to build user-friendly tools on top of those data platforms
- You need to be able to present economic analysis clearly and concisely to both internal and external audiences who are not trained in the subject, including media.
- Work from one of our offices in London, or New York with occasional travel.
WHO YOU ARE
- You must have a strong understanding of the economics of both the music and broader media and tech industries
- You have excellent statistical training and a proven track record in constructing excel models (such as long tail analysis) for solving problems that are without precedent.
- An MSc (or above) economics training at a reputable university with a research background in applied macro and microeconomics, and proven modelling skills.
- Applicants with considerably more experience are encouraged to apply.
IT IS A PLUS IF YOU
- Have experience in both recorded and music publishing sectors
- Love working a dynamic and fast-moving environment
- Think strategically, but stay on top of tactical execution.
- Possess effective verbal and written communications skills.
- Have the technical competence to perform more advanced analytics:
- Analytics tools experience (such as Pandas, R, SPSS, SQL, or Hadoop)
- Coding skills (such as Python, Java, or Scala)
- Experience performing analysis with large datasets
- Knowledge of conjoint software (i.e. Sawtooth) and other pricing tools
WHEN SENDING IN YOUR APPLICATION, PLEASE ANSWER BELOW QUESTIONS AND ADD YOUR ANSWERS IN YOUR COVER LETTER:
- Economists often fail themselves when the consumer doesn’t behave like their model predicted and then blame the consumer for being wrong. Does this remark resonate with you? Can you give examples of this happening?
- Econometrics has often seen as the primary statistical and predictive ‘arm’ of economics. Do you still agree with this, and if not – what alternatives software/tools do you use for modelling?
- Behavioural Economics is a popular strand of the discipline just now, although some critics say that economists are just stealing from psychologists. Can you see a role for behavioural economics at Spotify?
If this sounds like your type of role, please follow this link.