1. The following terms and conditions (“Rules”) and the online entry form and consent forms referred to in them apply to all entries to the Music Gateway Next Gen Talent Competition 2017 (referred to in these Rules as the “Competition”).
2. If you wish to enter the Competition please print off these Rules or save them for future reference. By entering the Competition, you agree to be bound by these Rules. If you do not agree to these Rules, you cannot enter the Competition.
3. The Promoter of the Competition is Music Gateway Limited (“Music Gateway”) whose address is 40-44 Church Street, Reigate Surrey, RH2 0AJ, United Kingdom.
4. Music Gateway is promoting the Competition in association with its sponsors. References to “we”, “us” and “our” in these Rules may include Music Gateway and some or all of these organisations.
5. The Competition is open to anyone who lives in the United Kingdom aged between 14 and 23. The Competition is divided into two age categories:
(a) those people who are between 14 and 17 years of age on 1st September 2017; and (b) those people who are between 18 and 23 years of age on 1st September 2017.
In entering the Competition, you confirm that you are eligible to do so and eligible to claim any prize you may win. Music Gateway may require you to provide proof that you are eligible to enter the competition.
6. To enter the Competition you should make an audio or audiovisual recording of a performance by you either arranged to music or as a spoken word performance. If you are shortlisted we may ask you to submit a copy of any lyrics included in your entry.
7. To enter the Competition you (or your parent/guardian if you are under 18) must fill in the online entry form on the Music Gateway website. Entries can be submitted as an audio-file: MP3, MP4 or WAV format audio, of less than 25MB or video file: MP4 of less than 250MB. If you are over the age of 16 on the date of your entry, you agree to be a registered user of the Music Gateway website, free of any charge for a period of a trial for 7 days from the date of the competition closing. You must agree to the general Terms and Conditions of the Music Gateway website, which can be read here. In respect of file uploads, if you are unable to supply these formats or have a question, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
8. To enter the Competition you (or parent/guardian if you are under 18) must fill in the online entry form on the Music Gateway website. The form will include a section for a parental/guardian consent.
9. When entering the Competition, please follow the guidelines for the Competition. You must not endanger yourself or others, or take any unnecessary risks or break the law in order to enter the Competition.
11. You are responsible for the costs (if any) of creating and submitting your entry. We take no responsibility for entries which are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or which are not entered for any technical or other reason.
12. Your entry will not be returned to you so you should make sure that you have a copy of it before submitting it.
13. When submitting your entry you (and if you are under 18 your parent or guardian) must provide your full name, date of birth, address, email address and if requested your country. If you are a pupil or student the name of your school, college or university). If you are over the age of 16 on the date of your entry, you will be required to create a username and password for your Music Gateway registered account. We will only use this information for administrative purposes relating to your entry to the Competition and for the following reasons:
(a) in relation to the Competition, including checking your eligibility to enter; (b) to identify you as the author of your entry and stating your name and age on the Music Gateway website www.musicgateway.com and in any other media or publicity relating to the Competition; and (c) to communicate with you about the Competition (and with your school or college if it is entered into the separate prize draw). (d) to provide you (if over the age of 16) with marketing information, by email, about our sponsors, partners and Music Gateway services. (e) to create your Music Gateway registered account in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Music Gateway website.
14. Group entries may be submitted to the Competition provided that separate entry forms and consent forms are completed by all contributors in each group. Entries on behalf of another person will not be valid.
15. The closing date for entries to the Competition is on Monday 30th March 2018. We must receive your entry to the Competition by 11.59pm on that day. Entries received after that date and time will not be valid.
16. Employees or agents of Music Gateway and their family members, may not enter the Competition, nor may anyone else connected with the creation or administration of the Competition.
17. Your entry must:
(a) be your own work, or work you co-created with your group, and must not be copied (except in the circumstances described in (b) below). By submitting your entry you confirm that you (or for group entries you and your group) own your entry and have the right to submit it to the Competition; (b) if your entry contains any music or lyrics not composed and/or not performed by you or any other material which is not owned by you you must indicate this on your entry form and provide details including confirmation that you have permission to use any such material in your entry; (c) if it features the personal story or image of any identifiable person who is not a public figure only do so if you have obtained any permission from that person to use their story or image in your entry; and (d) not be obscene, defamatory, offensive, inappropriate or breach any relevant laws or regulations (including any obligation of privacy or confidence).
If Music Gateway has reason to believe your entry breaches this paragraph 17 your entry may be withdrawn from the Competition. Entries may be screened for child protection and safeguarding purposes. If an entry contains troubling content Music Gateway may take steps to safeguard the entrant and anyone potentially affected by the content including contacting the entrant or person who submitted the entry on their behalf, and referring the matter to the relevant authorities.
18. A panel of judges (including representatives of Music Gateway and at least 5 independent judges) will choose 2 winning entries (1 from each age category) and 14 runners-up (7 from each age category).
Details of the judges will be found on the Music Gateway website.
19. The judges’ decision will be announced on or before Thursday 26th April 2018. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
20. Entries to the Competition will be judged on:
the quality of the lyrics (if written by the entrant); if the performance is spoken word, the quality of delivery including the use of intonation, rhythm and expression; if the performance is a musical performance the quality of the performance and the music.
Judges will not judge the technical quapty of any recording of a performance.
21. By submitting your entry you agree that we may publish your entry in some or all of the following ways:
lyrics may be published and made available (in whole or in part) by Music Gateway on its website after it receives your entry and also used by Music Gateway for general educational or promotional purposes; performances may be published, streamed and made available (in whole or in part) by Music Gateway on its website after it receives your entry and also used by Music Gateway for general educational or promotional purposes; winners’ and runners-ups’ entries may be published, streamed and made available (in whole or in part) by Music Gateway’s sponsors for the Competition on a designated section of their websites (at a URL to be confirmed) after the winners and runners-ups are announced; winners’ and runner-ups’ entries may be published (and in the case of recordings, streamed) and made available in whole or in part in other news and media channels and platforms after the 1st February 2018;
In all of the above circumstances entrant’s names and ages may be printed with their entries.
Any of these may be published or streamed at a later date if we need to delay publication for any reason.
22. Music Gateway may want to use a photograph or film of any or all of the authors of shortlisted entries to accompany the activities surrounding the shortlisting and announcement of the winners of the Competition. If we do, we may ask you to send us a photograph of yourself, or we may arrange for a photographer or cameraman to come and take a photograph of you (and we will arrange a time for this with you and if you are under 18 with your parent or guardian).
23. If your entry is shortlisted by the judges we may contact members of the local press to try and arrange local media coverage about your entry.
24. As between you and us, you will own the copyright to your entry as its author subject to our right to use your entry in accordance with these Rules.
25. By completing the online entry form and submitting an entry to the Competition you give us: - all consents and permissions necessary for your entry to be published, reproduced and made available in the ways explained in these Rules and you grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide licence to publish, reproduce (and in the case of recordings, stream) and otherwise make your entry available (in whole or in part) in all formats and media (including digital formats and physical print copy) for all purposes connected with the Competition. You also acknowledge and agree that we may publish, reproduce and make your entry available on our website free of charge in perpetuity as part of our archive service; - the right to use your name, age, school, college name and or town, city of residence to identify you as the author of your entry;
Music Gateway and its partners will also have the right to reproduce and publicise winners’ and runner-ups’ names and images worldwide in all formats and media including in publications, websites, products and programmes.
26. If you are or become a member of the Performing Rights Society or a performer member of Phonographic Performance Limited or any equivalent societies, nothing in these Rules shall prevent you from collecting any royalties which you would otherwise be entitled to collect from such societies. You must notify us of any such membership if your entry is shortlisted.
27. You acknowledge and agree that we may cut, edit, or and otherwise alter your entry as we think fit to appear on Music Gateway’s website and in other formats and publicity. We may also remove your entry from our website at any time. We may also cut, edit or otherwise alter your entry as we think fit if we have reason to believe it breaches any third party rights (including any copyright or right of privacy) or any law or regulation. You waive any so-called ‘moral’ rights which you may have in your entry for the purposes of this paragraph and you agree not to make any claim based on such rights in connection with the use of your entry in accordance with the Rules.
28. To enter the Competition, you must provide us with appropriate consent forms when requested by us. If you are shortlisted we will notify you and you will then need to send the correct completed original copies of consent forms to us. Please also read the guidance notes provided carefully for more information about consents to make sure you know what consents you need to provide with your entry.
29. We will require the consent in writing from any identifiable individuals who is not already a public figure whose image or story is used in any entry and any third party whose work or performance is used in any entry. If any such individual is under 18 years of age this consent must be provided by the parent or legal guardian completing the relevant section of a Third Party Consent Form.
30. Where individuals are 18 years of age or older, if a story about them about which they would not have a reasonable expectation of privacy and which is not in breach of any obligation of confidence is used in any song, no written consent may be required, but if you are unsure whether someone’s consent is needed please ask your teacher, parent or guardian to help. If a story about someone which they would have a reasonable expectation would be kept private and/or which is in breach of any obligation of confidence is used in any song, written consent is required using the third party Consent Form.
31. We also reserve the right to edit entries if we suspect the appropriate form of consent has not been provided.
32. Music Gateway reserves the right to disqualify any entry if appropriate consent forms are not provided for it on request.
33. You should check with your parent, guardian or teacher that they are happy for you to enter the Competition based on these Rules before you enter.
34. The parent or guardian of entrants who are under 18 must complete the Parental Consent section of their child’s entry in order for the entry to be valid.
35. The winners of each age category will receive prizes as detailed here.
36. The runners-up from each age category will each receive prizes as detailed here.
37. Competition prizes cannot be exchanged or transferred and cannot be redeemed for cash or any other prizes.
38. Music Gateway will substitute the prizes with other prizes of similar value in the event that the original prizes offered are not available at the time of the Competition.
39. Details of the winners and runners-up will be displayed on the Music Gateway website blog, but may also be obtained by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address: Music Gateway 2nd Floor, 40-44 Church Street, Reigate, Surrey RH2 0AJ.
40. No purchase is necessary to enter the Competition.
41. Any complaints regarding the Competition should be sent to Music Gateway Limited in writing whose address is 40-44 Church Street, Reigate Surrey, RH2 0AJ, United Kingdom.
42. In the absence of negligence Music Gateway and its sponsors and partners accept no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by you as a result of entering the Competition or accepting the prize including for any injury, loss or damage to you or any other person’s computer or equipment relating to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in connection with the Competition.
43. Music Gateway reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify these Rules or discontinue or temporarily or permanently suspend the Competition with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its control (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected or actual fraud). The decision of Music Gateway in all matters under its control is final and binding.
44. Music Gateway shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations where the failure is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but not be limited to, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.
45. Music Gateway reserves the right to disqualify any entry which breaches any of these Rules.
46. These Rules are governed by English law. If any disagreement arises out of these Rules or the Competition that cannot be amicably resolved and you wish to take court proceedings you must do so in England.